Monday, February 10, 2014

GOD means “no other gods”


1 Samuel 5: After the Philistines had captured the ark of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. Then they carried the ark into Dagon’s temple and set it beside Dagon. When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the Lord! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. 

But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the Lord! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained.

============

“Ooo $5” I said to myself! I looked around and grinned because no one was there to claim my windfall. Days later I found some coins on this same lawn, then an old but useful umbrella.  Finally I found the cream of the crop, my lucky gold chain and playboy stick pin.

I was hooked on the lucky lawn and would go there daily to see what gifts the lawn would bestow. Wearing my lucky chain I was driving down the street and a car came out of nowhere smashing the front of my already beat up car. Wouldn’t you know it was right next to my lucky lawn? Oh, and the guy didn’t have insurance!

  • There have been times where I put my trust in luck over GOD.
  • There have been times where I thought a piece of metal or a shirt or sitting in a certain place would bring me luck rather than seeking GOD.
  • There have been times where I put my trust in bank accounts, investments and insurance rather than trust in GOD.


It’s not that I was down on my luck or sad, I just happened to get something unexpected and called it lucky. I began to think luck would be with me if I carried it around with me in the form of trinkets. BUT GOD wanted me to think differently.

  • GOD wants me to put my trust in HIM rather than things.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIS ways instead of constantly seeking the “lucky windfall.”
  • GOD wants me to have faith where others fail to see what HE is doing.


I have to be honest, faith is the harder road. It’s easy to believe in luck because when things go wrong I can just blame it on “bad luck” and change my trinkets. GOD wants me to grow up and put my trust in HIM. HE wants me to maturely see that blessings and trials have to ask HIS permission.

HIS sovereign plan is ultimate, supreme and somehow loving and caring. I should worship HIM.

  • Are you putting your trust in “Luck?”
  • Do you think if you buy more trinkets, even crosses, then you will have better luck?
  • Won’t you put your trust in the Living GOD who loves you and wants the best for you?


1 comment: