Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Keeping my side of the promise

1 Samuel 1: 10 In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly. 11 And she made a vow, saying, “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.”

-------

19 Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the Lord and then went back to their home at Ramah. Elkanah made love to his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered her. 20 So in the course of time Hannah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, “Because I asked the Lord for him.”

-------

 27 I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 28 So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” And he worshiped the Lord there.

============

“LORD, if you would just grant me this [insert wish] I will never do this again!” were my empty words on many occasions. This usually meant I was pulled over for speeding or doing something else I shouldn’t have been doing. GOD has actually granted my “wish” at that time and not so soon afterwards, I found myself doing “that” thing again.

  • When I want my way I call out to GOD with an empty prayer.
  • When I want to get out of facing the consequences I call out to GOD with an empty prayer.
  • When I want my sin to be overlooked instead of forgiven I call out to GOD with an empty prayer.


I have made empty promises to GOD and HE doesn’t take them lightly. HE looks at a vow as a word chipped in stone. If I break my word then HE has consequences for me.

  • GOD made promises to me regarding salvation so HE takes promises seriously.
  • GOD made promises to me regarding protection so HE takes promises seriously.
  • GOD made promises to me regarding life so HE takes promises seriously.


If I act wishy washy in regards to my promises to HIM why should I expect HIM to believe my prayer isn’t just a selfish cry for more stuff or more power. GOD would rather I not promise than to state a promise I never intended to keep. GOD hates manipulation but loves when I keep a promise to HIM.

  • Are you trying to manipulate GOD or someone else?
  • Do you think GOD will listen to you if you have no intention of keeping your promise?
  • Won’t you try adjusting your prayer to include a vow to GOD you will keep?
  • Won’t you keep your promise once GOD has blessed you with your desire?


No comments:

Post a Comment