Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Being above pettiness

1 Samuel 30: 21 Then David came to the two hundred men who had been too exhausted to follow him and who were left behind at the Besor Valley. They came out to meet David and the men with him. As David and his men approached, he asked them how they were. 22 But all the evil men and troublemakers among David’s followers said, “Because they did not go out with us, we will not share with them the plunder we recovered. However, each man may take his wife and children and go.”

23 David replied, “No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the Lord has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us. 24 Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.”25 David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this.


============

“I’m not sure if he is a good boss or not” were the words that came from my lips as we met by the coffee machine and chatted. Months later we were going through yet another reorganization. He moved my family to a faraway land and we still questioned the validity of his business prowess, but exclaimed praise for his upward momentum.

One day he pulled me in his office and said, “I have watched over you. Raise yourself above any petty talk and you will succeed.” I think he knew I was talking about him. He blessed me for years after with raises and promotions. He went on to become the CEO.

  • When I gossip I am being petty.
  • When I talk about people who didn’t pull their weight I am being petty.
  • When I think negatively about someone GOD is raising up I am being petty.


“Eighty percent of the work is done by twenty percent” of the people is how the old saying goes. Am I in helping group or the group that sits back and murmurs and complains about the boss? Well apparently I was in the latter of the two. BUT GOD wants me to be different.

  • GOD wants me to stop complaining about “that” person and start praying “for” that person.
  • GOD wants me to stop murmuring and start moving.
  • GOD wants me to stop holding people back and start helping them move forward.


From his mentorship I was able to let go of my pettiness and grow people to become my boss and greater without being jealous. GOD blessed me with removing my blindness to others and great thing happened.

  • Are you being petty?
  • Are you too blind to see what GOD sees in “that” person?
  • Do you murmur about “those” people?
  • Can you reduce your complaining and gossiping and begin praising GOD for  HIS blessings?


No comments:

Post a Comment