Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fear makes me do dumb things


1 Samuel 21: 10 That day David fled from Saul and went to Achish king of Gath. 11 But the servants of Achish said to him, “Isn’t this David, the king of the land? Isn’t he the one they sing about in their dances:

“‘Saul has slain his thousands,
    and David his tens of thousands’?”

12 David took these words to heart and was very much afraid of Achish king of Gath. 13 So he pretended to be insane in their presence; and while he was in their hands he acted like a madman, making marks on the doors of the gate and letting saliva run down his beard.

 ============

Walking from one school to the next, a buddy and I chatted along the trek. We turned the corner and was met with a pack of street dogs. A couple of them began to growl. My friend took his book bag and waved it at the dogs. I on the other hand saw a tall bush, not a tree, a bush.

It was manicured with no branches at the bottom and flimsiness at the top. I quickly tried to escape in this thing to no avail. I had to join in on the fight.

  • Fear makes me react on first impulse.
  • Fear makes me think the worst is going to happen.
  • Fear makes me play out suppositions in my mind that really aren’t true.


Fear makes me think things are disastrous. Even my shadow scares me when I’m fearful. I then start playing out “what would happen” scenarios and I go down a path that makes me even more fearful! BUT GOD says different.

  • GOD wants me to trust HIM instead of being fearful.
  • GOD wants me to give my fears to HIM in prayer.
  • GOD wants me to agree HE is mighty and on my side so there is no need to have fear.


Many times I have feared the worst and GOD says to me “do not be afraid.” HE knows the situation seems bleak BUT HIS power is far greater than any situation I can face. HE understands my fear, worry or doubt and asks that I give to HIM “specifically” calling out the fear to HIM in prayer. HE then grants me peace that I don’t understand.

  • Do you have fears?
  • Are you afraid of a particular situation?
  • Can you put your trust in HIM today?
  • Won’t you mature in CHRIST by placing your faith in HIM?


No comments:

Post a Comment