Friday, March 28, 2014

Seek to be kind

2 Samuel 9:The king asked, “Is there no one still alive from the house of Saul to whom I can show God’s kindness?”

Ziba answered the king, “There is still a son of Jonathan; he is lame in both feet.”

“Where is he?” the king asked.

Ziba answered, “He is at the house of Makir son of Ammiel in Lo Debar.”

So King David had him brought from Lo Debar, from the house of Makir son of Ammiel.
When Mephibosheth son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, came to David, he bowed down to pay him honor.

David said, “Mephibosheth!”

“At your service,” he replied.

“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table.”

============

Kindness has been shown to me in various forms for many years. From a scout leader who tirelessly gave his time to us to the many bosses who stuck their neck out for me. One thing I noticed about them is they didn’t ask they just did.

  • GOD wants me to seek moments in which I can be kind to someone.
  • GOD wants me to actively pursue people to be kind to.
  • GOD wants me to sacrifice a vacation or some “me” time to be kind to someone.


Being kind takes time and thought, but not always. Sometimes it is something as small as holding a door for someone or placing their newspaper near their door or smiling at them. The kind part is seen by the person who has done nothing to deserve the act. Hopefully I am ready to tell them why I do these things.

  • I am kind because GOD is kind to me.
  • I am kind because GOD can use the kindness to draw people to HIM.
  • I am kind because GOD says “Love one another as I have loved you.”


Kindness should never be mistake for weakness. In fact it takes strength to show kindness in a humble way not expecting anything in return. Being kind is exactly what GOD wants from me.

  • Are you full of complaints?
  • Do you expect to get and never to give?
  • Should you be kind to the person who isn’t?
  • Won’t you show someone kindness today for the purpose of drawing them closer to GOD?


No comments:

Post a Comment