Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The High Road to True Leadership

1 Samuel 24:He came to the sheep pens along the way; a cave was there, and Saul went in to relieve himself. David and his men were far back in the cave. The men said, “This is the day the Lord spoke of when he said to you, ‘I will give your enemy into your hands for you to deal with as you wish.’” Then David crept up unnoticed and cut off a corner of Saul’s robe.

Afterward, David was conscience-stricken for having cut off a corner of his robe. He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, or lay my hand on him; for he is the anointed of the Lord.” With these words David sharply rebuked his men and did not allow them to attack Saul. And Saul left the cave and went his way.

============

“Get out of my meeting!” were the disturbing, yet satisfying words I have only spoken once in my career. As I disposed of the blustery person I felt relieved that my meeting would continue, but even more, the blatant disrespect was squelched and no one dared to challenge me like that.

Years later as I tried to change jobs, I went to interview at a company. I prepared by doing research. The next day the interview was cancelled. I was extremely confused and dug a little deeper. The guy I threw out of my meeting was in charge of the department at that company.

  • Getting even is extremely satisfying, short term.
  • Getting the upper hand is filled with elation, short term.
  • Getting rid of blustery, mean, overbearing people is so rewarding, short term.


One might say I did the right thing at the time, but I never went back to the guy to understand what he was going through and why he was so passionate. I was so focused on the matter at hand that I could not see a larger picture of working together.

  • GOD wants me to bring people together rather than always seeking ‘my way.”
  • GOD wants me to forgive my enemies rather than seeking immediate vengeance on them.
  • GOD wants me to see the situation from HIS perspective rather than looking at it from my short term lens.


David took the high road which actually gave him more power than he could realize. The times when I took the high road seemed foolish and downright crazy to most, BUT GOD knows and loves me for it. The high road brings people to GOD!

  • Are you in a position where you can harm someone?
  • Is your tongue spitting slander or poison about people?
  • Can you take the high road and speak praises about “that” person?
  • Will you allow GOD to take revenge on “that” person while you pray for them?


No comments:

Post a Comment