Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A healthy fall makes a healthy return

2 Samuel 16:As King David approached Bahurim, a man from the same clan as Saul’s family came out from there. His name was Shimei son of Gera, and he cursed as he came out. He pelted David and all the king’s officials with stones, though all the troops and the special guard were on David’s right and left.

-------

Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head.”

10 But the king said, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’”

11 David then said to Abishai and all his officials, “My son, my own flesh and blood, is trying to kill me. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the Lord has told him to. 12 It may be that the Lord will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today.”

13 So David and his men continued along the road while Shimei was going along the hillside opposite him, cursing as he went and throwing stones at him and showering him with dirt. 14 The king and all the people with him arrived at their destination exhausted. And there he refreshed himself.

============

“Humiliation” is the one word I felt during my last days this particular job. I was in the middle of negotiating severance and those in power had to tolerate me until I left. It was planning season and my boss’s boss remarked as I was presenting. “It’s not like it matters” was his statement after I presented the plan for what was soon to be my former department.

I saw several grins and chuckles after his statement from those who cheered my rise to the top. The next week it was over and I had to pack my things like I saw so many before me.
There have been times in my life where I have been humiliated.
  • There have been times in my life where embarrassment was only the beginning of what I felt.
  • There have been times in my life where I wanted to crawl in a corner and give up.


David’s ascent was amazing but his fall was embarrassing. I can definitely understand how he must have felt. But he did a remarkable thing. He didn’t blame GOD.

  • GOD says “I will be with you always” so this means through utter humiliation.
  • GOD says “I have a wonderful plan for you” so this includes the high and low points.
  • GOD says “My grace is sufficient” so HE wants me to pray for those who don’t have my best interest.

GOD is the one who raises people up and makes them fall. We still have a purpose to serve no matter where we are. Praise GOD for HIS constant pursuit to restore us.
  • Are you feeling embarrassed?
  • Do you feel humiliated?
  • Do you think your humiliation is because you were pointing at your own life too much when you should be pointing your life to GOD?
  • Can you give your humiliation to GOD and gain strength from HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment