Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Should I Obey GOD?


1 Kings 13: 16 The man of God said, “I cannot turn back and go with you, nor can I eat bread or drink water with you in this place.17 I have been told by the word of the Lord: ‘You must not eat bread or drink water there or return by the way you came.’”

18 The old prophet answered, “I too am a prophet, as you are. And an angel said to me by the word of the Lord: ‘Bring him back with you to your house so that he may eat bread and drink water.’” (But he was lying to him.) 19 So the man of God returned with him and ate and drank in his house.

20 While they were sitting at the table, the word of the Lord came to the old prophet who had brought him back. 21 He cried out to the man of God who had come from Judah, “This is what the Lord says: ‘You have defied the word of the Lord and have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you. 22 You came back and ate bread and drank water in the place where he told you not to eat or drink. Therefore your body will not be buried in the tomb of your ancestors.’”

============

It sounds like I’m double-talking when I say “Do what GOD says” and then later I say “GOD’s grace is sufficient.”  It seems like the two statements contradict one another. GOD says if we live by “the Law” then if we break even one, we are guilty of the entire law.

Does this give me the freedom to sin as much as I want? Not quite.

  • GOD knows the destructive power of sin so I should understand “the Law” but not depend on it to save me.
  • GOD knows the plan HE has for me so I should follow HIS ways and examples but not depend on my righteousness to save me.
  • GOD knows I will fail over and over and over so I should be excited about HIS everlasting forgiveness but not depend on “not sinning” as a method to remain close to HIM.


When I believed that I needed to be saved from eternal separation from GOD, I was given the HOLY SPIRIT who lives inside me and will never leave me nor forsake me. Actually, GOD gave this to me before I was born, but that’s another story. Since the HOLY SPIRIT lives in me, I can’t get “away” from GOD.

GOD does however allow consequences to come in my life. My fear shouldn’t be on the consequences rather I should fear “not” following GOD’s ways for many who call on HIS name will not enter HIS kingdom.  GOD wants a real relationship with me rather than one of manipulation to get my way. GOD wants me to obey out of love for HIM.

  • Are you walking on eggshells with GOD in hopes to get your way?
  • Are you trying to remain ignorant to what HE wants you to do in hopes that HE won’t have a hard task for you?
  • Can you seek what HE desires for you so you can truly be successful?
  • Won’t you obey HIM today just to show HIM your love?Can you add to your faith that HIS grace is sufficient?
  • Can you add to your faith that HIS grace is sufficient?

No comments:

Post a Comment