Monday, May 19, 2014

Trust takes dependence


1 Kings 17:Then the word of the Lord came to him: “Go at once to Zarephath in the region of Sidon and stay there. I have directed a widow there to supply you with food.” 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” 11 As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”

12 “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.”

13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’”


============

“Open Immediately” were the all too familiar words on the envelope. This time it was from the bank stating my rent check had bounced and my account was now negative. I sat and wondered what I should do. My landlord was going to call soon and I only had a few dollars in my pocket.

I hadn’t been to church and someone on campus asked me to go.  I went and they said “give,” well at least that’s all I could hear since I was broke. I nervously reached in my homemade wallet and gave one of my last dollars. I didn’t even know why I did this at the time. A miracle did not happen that day.  I went home dejected. BUT GOD worked everything out in HIS time.

Sometimes I can’t see what GOD is doing.
Sometimes I think GOD has left me to work everything out by myself.
Sometimes I think my troubles are punishment and I can never get out of trouble with GOD.

Complaints roll off my lips when things don’t quite go my way. I mean, “I’m not really doing bad things” I rationalize to myself in my protest to GOD. HIS reply was very simple.

  • Trust in ME and I will never forsake you.
  • Believe in ME and I will supply all your needs.
  • Follow ME and your path will be made straight.


GOD wants total dependence on HIM.  Bank accounts, insurance and conveniences sometimes blind me and others around me to GOD’s saving grace. HIS mercy came with a great price, namely the loss of HIS SON. BUT GOD didn’t stop at JESUS’ death. HE raised HIM from the dead and placed HIM over everything.

By belief that HIS SON is GOD and is now alive, I am adopted in HIS all-powerful family. Now, my circumstances can be directed by the ONE who made everything. I can depend on GOD.

  • Are you worried?
  • Do you think you have the power to overcome your circumstances?
  • Can you ask GOD what HE wants you to do today?
  • Won’t you put your trust in GOD today and let go of your worries?


No comments:

Post a Comment