Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Where Advice Comes From


2 Kings 1:Now Ahaziah had fallen through the lattice of his upper room in Samaria and injured himself. So he sent messengers, saying to them, “Go and consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron, to see if I will recover from this injury.”

But the angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite, “Go up and meet the messengers of the king of Samaria and ask them, ‘Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going off to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?’

============

“Should I…” are the words I have said on many occasions. The problem with these unsure words is that they were pointed in the wrong direction. “Should I sneak out of the house?’ was pointed at other teens who had done this and “gotten away with it.”

  • Sometimes I seek advice from those who are not following GOD in order to join the crowd.
  • Sometimes I seek advice from the fearful and they add their worries on me.
  • Sometimes I seek advice from the rich and powerful in order to be more like them.


GOD’s way is definitely not my way. HE does not want me to bow down to gods of money, power and fame so the source of my advice should be different.

  • GOD wants me to seek HIS kingdom first so HE can say “No” or “Yes” to my request.
  • GOD wants me to ask HIM for everything since HE owns everything.
  • GOD wants me to see if I am following HIS plan, not my own.


Even the tiniest decision can be run by GOD. HE can handle it. HE wants total dependence on HIM and reliance on HIS power. Authority is given once I ask GOD “what should I do in this situation?” When HE has first right of refusal then HIS guidance is far better than any human advice.

  • Whose advice are you seeking?
  • Do you check “churchy” advice by comparing it to what GOD says?
  • In your prayers for situations and stuff, do you ask GOD “what do you want?”
  • Can you seek what GOD wants for you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment