Friday, June 20, 2014

Worshiping Something Else

2 Kings 17: 35 When the Lord made a covenant with the Israelites, he commanded them: “Do not worship any other gods or bow down to them, serve them or sacrifice to them. 36 But the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt with mighty power and outstretched arm, is the one you must worship. To him you shall bow down and to him offer sacrifices. 

37 You must always be careful to keep the decrees and regulations, the laws and commands he wrote for you. Do not worship other gods. 38 Do not forget the covenant I have made with you, and do not worship other gods. 39 Rather, worship the Lord your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies.”

============

Times were getting tough and I wasn’t hearing from GOD so I opened a fortune cookie and lottery numbers appeared. I wonder if I should play the lottery popped in my mind. Another time things were getting tough and I wasn’t hearing from GOD so I read my horoscope, hoping for some encouraging words.

Yet another time things were getting tough and I wasn’t hearing from GOD so I spent about an hour looking for a four leaf clover so I could have ”good luck.”

  • When I want my way I will seek other gods for direction.
  • When I want my way I will seek other gods for advice.
  • When I want my way I will seek other gods for fulfilling my dreams.


My lack of trust sent me looking for answers in the wrong places. I wanted instant information rather than listening to GOD on a daily basis. When things started to go wrong, I would immediately go to the next thing to satisfy my craving for immediate information. BUT GOD wants something different.

  • GOD says to me “Do not worship any other gods or bow down to them, serve them or sacrifice to them.”
  • GOD says to me “I am brought you up out of Egypt with mighty power and outstretched arm, and I am the one you must worship.”
  • GOD says to me “Be careful to keep the decrees and regulations, the laws and commands written for you. Do not worship other gods.
  • GOD says to me “Do not forget the covenant I have made with you, and do not worship other gods.
  • GOD says to me “Worship the Lord your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies.”


So I started worshipping GOD and more things started to go wrong! Wait a minute! What happened? GOD then opened my eyes and showed me I had a long way to go in order to fully trust HIM so I stayed on the road. I am so glad I now put my trust in HIM because my hope is much stronger.

  • Are you seeking symbols, trinkets and bobbles to bring you luck?
  • Do you believe you will be “lucky” and get rich one day?
  • Are you doing anything for the god of money even being sad when it doesn’t allow you to have some?
  • Can you stop bowing down to various gods and stand firm for the one true GOD?


No comments:

Post a Comment