Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ask with sincerity


1 Chronicles 4: 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

============

Getting more stuff seems like such a greedy prayer to me, so I had to look at this prayer again and ponder it. Many people have told me “You have not because you ask not.” Others say “Just name it and claim it.” BUT GOD wants me to focus on HIM.

  • GOD was pleased when Solomon asked for wisdom.
  • GOD was please when Moses asked for direction.
  • GOD was pleased when the widow asked for her son to be brought back to life.


I have to ask myself “Why do I need more of what I’m asking for?” What will I do when I have an excess of whatever I get? I had a frank conversation with GOD to see if I could handle more money and the answer was “No” at the time.

I had a lot of it so I spent an exorbitant amount of time trying to protect it. In fact when someone asked for it I would quickly assess whether they “deserved” it or would they squander it on something pitiful.  My generosity diminished as fewer and fewer would meet my measure. BUT GOD wants something different.

  • GOD wants me to be generous before I am wealthy so I can handle it when I am.
  • GOD wants me to let HIM discern how someone will spend any money I give away.
  • GOD wants me to be generous to those HE sends me and remove my worries about where money will come from.


When money is the focus of the prayer I am blinded to the greatness of GOD, but when GOD is the focus of prayer my eyes are opened to HIS power and wealth. HE is the one who gives in abundance as long as my motives are focused on HIM and my faith is not dependent on cash.

  • Are you praying for more money?
  • Have you ever wondered why you this prayer has not been answered?
  • If you are praying for a larger title or more money, how will this benefit GOD’s kingdom?
  • If you know how more stuff will benefit the kingdom can you start acting like it without the title or the cash?


No comments:

Post a Comment