Monday, August 11, 2014

Mistaking My Kindness for Weakness

1 Chronicles 19: In the course of time, Nahash king of the Ammonites died, and his son succeeded him as king. David thought, “I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me.” So David sent a delegation to express his sympathy to Hanun concerning his father.

When David’s envoys came to Hanun in the land of the Ammonites to express sympathy to him, the Ammonite commanders said to Hanun, “Do you think David is honoring your father by sending envoys to you to express sympathy? Haven’t his envoys come to you only to explore and spy out the country and overthrow it?” So Hanun seized David’s envoys, shaved them, cut off their garments at the buttocks, and sent them away.

-------
14 Then Joab and the troops with him advanced to fight the Arameans, and they fled before him. 
-------
19 When the vassals of Hadadezer saw that they had been routed by Israel, they made peace with David and became subject to him.

So the Arameans were not willing to help the Ammonites anymore.

============

Sitting in my office, I wondered how I was going to get the work done with the resources I had available to me. A peer came to my cubicle and tapped on the imaginary door. He proceeded to ask me to do some of his work. It was small and similar to what our team was doing so I agreed. Our team worked hard, but my peers’ extra load began to drag on and on so I went back to him and asked for more attention to “our” project.

He then said “It’s your project” as if he had nothing to do with it. Things looked bleak for a moment, but after talking to the team, they were willing to work a little harder. We finished all the work with a few minor adjustments and our team won an award. I truly appreciate their wonderful hearts.

  • Sometimes I feel my kindness is viewed as weakness.
  • Sometimes I feel my kindness is supposed to yield to bullying tactics.
  • Sometimes I feel my kindness is taken and trampled by those who aren’t appreciative.


Yes, I know I should not be looking for rewards here on earth. GOD clearly says if I seek a pat on my back, I would get it as my reward instead of getting a reward in heaven from HIM. But HE also said “Do not cast your pearls before swine.” As a follower of CHRIST I need to watch HIS example carefully.

  • JESUS served those in need and recognized those who were blatantly against HIM.
  • JESUS never sought credit but recognized the Churchy people who blew HIM off.
  • JESUS was not afraid to serve someone who acted different than HE did and recognized those who served by exclusion.


The recognition JESUS had of the Pharisees and Sadducees wasn’t good. In fact HE called them a den of vipers. HE wants me to serve with my eyes wide open and perhaps stop serving those who rob and steal from people. HE still wants me to show kindness to those HE delivers to me, but I must obey HIM rather than chasing human approval.

  • Are you chasing those who can never be pleased?
  • Do people mistake your kindness for weakness?
  • Can you say “no” to people to avoid burn-out?
  • Won’t you ask GOD to open your eyes to those HE wants you to serve and those you can say “no” to?

No comments:

Post a Comment