Monday, August 18, 2014

Periods of Rest


1 Chronicles 23: 25 For David had said, “Since the Lord, the God of Israel, has granted rest to his people and has come to dwell in Jerusalem forever, 26 the Levites no longer need to carry the tabernacle or any of the articles used in its service.” 

============

With the crowd getting larger, it seemed like this place needed more organization. I implemented some software that would keep track of tithes, offerings and money for the building. Each Sunday I would park myself in the office and half way listen to the sermon on a speaker in the office.

Questions about administration soon led me to take work from the church home. I was the head of the deacons, head of the trustees, head of administration and headed towards going nuts. Is this what GOD had in mind?

  • Sometimes I get overloaded.
  • Sometimes I feel overwhelmed.
  • Sometimes I work to the point of exhaustion.


Volunteering is a wonderful thing but sometimes the volunteer activity needs to be scaled back to have moment of rest. GOD wants me to focus on HIM when HE calls me, but HE loves me so much that HE wants me to have rest.

  • GOD said to me “Come unto me all ye who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.”
  • GOD said to me “I lead you beside still waters.”
  • GOD said to me “Stand still and watch the power of the LORD.”


When I find myself trying too hard to please GOD it usually stems from fear or worry or doubt that HE is with me. It also means I really, really want something that GOD may have said “No” or “Wait” to. Don’t get me wrong… GOD wants me to be persistent an persevere in the battle of life, BUT HE also wants me to have periods of rest.

GOD cares for me so HE wants me to take a moment for myself so I will not get burnt out!

  • Are you working hard to please GOD?
  • Do you think HE is not pleased with you for some reason?
  • Can you stop thinking HE is a hard task master and allow yourself to take a break once in a while?
  • Can you look at service to the LORD as smaller periods of work AND rest?


No comments:

Post a Comment