Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Remember what has been done

1 Chronicles 17:“Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name like the names of the greatest men on earth. 

And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning 10 and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also subdue all your enemies.

============

“How am I even alive?” I thought to myself today. I mean I should have been hit by the car I stepped in front of. I should have fallen from the factory I climbed on. The car I drove at high speeds with bald tires should have flipped over. I should have been brutally mauled by the thugs who robbed me or shot by those who pointed guns at me. But I wasn’t.

I should still be in the neighborhood I grew up in, cowering under my bed because it has gotten worse and worse. I should still be wearing holey pants and eating an occasional mustard sandwich. But GOD said different.

  • GOD says to me “I took you from meager beginnings and appointed you over many in the business world.”
  • GOD says to me “I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off your enemies from before you.”
  • GOD says to me “Now I will make your name like the names of the greatest men on earth.”


Yes I was terrified of writing that last sentence. I asked GOD over and over, “are you sure you want me to write that?” I mean Joseph declared some pretty lofty things and seemed so naive. Also, I have taught many people to focus on humility and let GOD worry about which title HE wants to give you.

I also don’t feel like I deserve “greatness.” I mean I’m a sinner just like anyone else. What if I’m just hearing my own sinful desires to be a conqueror of nations? What if it’s just the greed speaking?

  • GOD said to me “Let me handle the definition of ‘greatness’ not man.”
  • GOD said to me “Seek my kingdom first and foremost and I will add much to you.”
  • GOD said to me “My yoke is easy and my burden is light” so I won’t have to “try” to please GOD because HE is already in love with me.


I guess I was looking at the word “greatness” with sinful eyes. Humans think greatness is a title, fancy car and huge bank accounts. I don’t know… maybe GOD will allow me to have some of that stuff, but the GREATEST human who walked the planet never sinned, never asked for a title and was murdered for something I did. JESUS is the “greatness” my life should point to.

  • Are you seeking greatness?
  • Can you modify your definition of greatness to focus on “kingdom” greatness?
  • Can you focus your life on the ONE who is great, namely JESUS?


No comments:

Post a Comment