Thursday, October 23, 2014

First Steps to the Return


Ezra 2: 64 The whole company numbered 42,360, 65 besides their 7,337 male and female slaves; and they also had 200 male and female singers. 66 They had 736 horses, 245 mules,67 435 camels and 6,720 donkeys.

68 When they arrived at the house of the Lord in Jerusalem, some of the heads of the families gave freewill offerings toward the rebuilding of the house of God on its site.

============

After finishing my final paperwork I stood in my home office. No commute. No conference calls. No meetings. Silence. My career had shifted after the company decided to eliminate positions and I found myself wondering what to do. My previous pace was fast and pressured. I questioned the directions of the numerous people who gave me input.

They had great intentions in providing suggestions, but until I quieted down, I could not hear what I was supposed to be doing.

  • After my turmoil, I ponder what happens next.
  • After my trial, I question where I am supposed to go.
  • After my difficulty, I wonder “am I good enough?”


When I ask myself “Am I good enough” I am still looking at myself for all the answers. I then turn into judge, jury and executioner, quickly convicting myself of all my sins and missteps. GOD does want me to admit I am a sinner, BUT HE also wants me to move on, knowing HE has forgiven me. HE sometimes wants me to start over, dropping my misinterpretations of HIM along the way.

  • GOD wants me to look at HIM rather than looking at my accomplishments.
  • GOD wants me to look at HIM rather than looking at my might.
  • GOD wants me to look at HIM rather than looking at my resources.


Hundreds of thousands of GOD’s people had been taken into captivity and they returned with a pitiful few. Their resources were low yet their spirit was not broken. They gave and that was the first step to the return. On the journey back GOD said to me “be generous and you will be blessed.”


  • Are you just getting out of a huge trial?
  • Are you still pondering the aftermath of devastation?
  • Can you mourn for a shorter period of time and start to focus on GOD’s peace?
  • Will you drop your struggles and focus on rebuilding HIS temple within you, HIS way this time?
  • Will you ask GOD for the spirit of generosity today?


No comments:

Post a Comment