Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Right Motive


Nehemiah 5: 18 Each day one ox, six choice sheep and some poultry were prepared for me, and every ten days an abundant supply of wine of all kinds. In spite of all this, I never demanded the food allotted to the governor, because the demands were heavy on these people.

19 Remember me with favor, my God, for all I have done for these people.

============

Scratching my head over a project I worked deep in thought. Someone popped into my cubicle and asked, “Do you want to help us serve this Saturday?” I said the corporate “Yes” knowing I had plenty of other things I would rather do. I really didn’t like the people at the home office.

It was a photo opportunity and I thought to myself, “If the big boss wants this then maybe I should.” After the photographer left, I wondered how I was going to make my escape. The big boss then asked me “Would you like to run a marathon?” “Aw Man!” What does it take to move up in this company? I already served!”

  • Sometimes I serve to get my way.
  • Sometimes I serve to gain political power.
  • Sometimes I serve because I am told to serve.


I don’t even remember the causes I have supported over the years. I mean the hat is passed around at work and I dropped in a few dollars and kept going, hoping they would not come back again. Maybe if I reached a certain level then I could dictate which charity they would support. BUT GOD wanted me to think different.

  • GOD wants me to desire what is best for HIS people without me getting anything in return.
  • GOD wants me to sacrifice to ensure people are kept strong and made whole.
  • GOD wants me to seek out situations where I can serve rather than being served.


Instead of getting more, GOD wants me to give more. HE said “The poor you will always have” meaning I will always have plenty of people to give to. HE wants me to give to those who cannot give back. My only motive must be to serve those HE delivers to me.

  • Are you serving in order to get something from GOD?
  • Are you serving and complaining about serving?
  • Are you aware GOD wants you to serve out of cheerfulness and love?
  • Can you serve people today with the right motive which is to help those GOD sends to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment