Monday, December 15, 2014

A Very Bad Day

Job 1: 13 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, 14 a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, 15 and the Sabeans attacked and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

16 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

17 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
    and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
    may the name of the Lord be praised.”
22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

============

I have had some bad days, but not nearly as bad as the one Job had where in a moment his entire life was turned upside down. They say “Trouble comes in threes” meaning if you are having trouble, just wait, more trouble is around the corner so get ready.

I pondered, why did GOD allow Job to have his stuff taken and his people killed? Then I noticed something interesting.

  • My sinful view of life makes me think “my stuff” is “my stuff.”
  • My sinful view of life makes me think people around me should never be hurt or scathed.
  • My sinful view of life makes me think GOD is to blame when things go wrong.


I also noticed Job did not ask “why” in this passage. Well, not yet. Job probably did not feel like praising GOD, yet he was obedient to the task. He knew that GOD is the only refuge rather than the center of blame.

Praise GOD for all HE has done!

  • Are you blaming GOD?
  • Are you mad that you are not getting your way?
  • Can you see that GOD has a wonderful plan for you if you would just hold that complaint back?
  • Will you seek to praise GOD during your trial?


No comments:

Post a Comment