Monday, July 6, 2015

Recognizing True Power


Psalm 93:The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
    the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
    indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
Your throne was established long ago;
    you are from all eternity.
The seas have lifted up, Lord,
    the seas have lifted up their voice;
    the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
    mightier than the breakers of the sea—
    the Lord on high is mighty.
Your statutes, Lord, stand firm;
    holiness adorns your house
    for endless days.

============

Nervously awaiting the verdict, all I could think about is “what if they don’t accept me?” This happened as I attempted to get on the track team, or into college, or into a fraternity or into many companies. I was later taught “It’s not what you know but who you know.” I tried meeting people and soon found I had to identify the person with “power” and cater to their whims, no matter how crazy they seemed.

  • There are times where I did not like the person with “power.”
  • There are times where I did not like the person in charge.
  • There are times where I did not like the person who made the decisions.


Folding my arms and pouting didn’t work, nor did slandering behind their back. I had to humble myself and face the situation that someone was actually “higher” than me in the pecking order of many things and I had to treat them with a level of respect. Then I noticed something different. What if I treated everyone with the same respect? Then I noticed something even more enlightening, what if I treated GOD with the level of respect HE needs?

  • Humans need respect from me and GOD should get even more.
  • Humans need special attention from me and GOD should get even more.
  • Humans need immediate response, from me and GOD should get even more.


Recognizing “power” makes me successful, but human success can only last as long as their reign. GOD’s reign is everlasting. HIS “throne was established long ago” and HIS “holiness adorns HIS house for endless days.” The more I can recognize GOD’s power, without constantly pointing at my situation or my sins, the better.

  • Are you focused on telling GOD about you?
  • Do you find that most of your prayers are about you?
  • Can you take a moment to recognize GOD’s power daily?
  • Can you fight the temptation to be tired of praising GOD and truly honor HIM?


No comments:

Post a Comment