Monday, August 31, 2015

Growing Up Quietly

Psalm 131:My heart is not proud, Lord,
    my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
    or things too wonderful for me.
But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord
    both now and forevermore.

============

Memories are absolutely amazing, dancing around my head like little videos. My earliest memory is reaching for my bottle and knocking it over only to hear the sound of it shattering on the floor. Yes, it was glass. My weaning period from the bottle was difficult. I took to a famous cartoon character of the time, holding a facsimile of a blanket and sucking my thumb. The entire family tried to steer me from the dreaded thumb. Then one day, I just stopped and grew up.

  • When I was a child I thought as a child.
  • When I was a child I had to go through a weaning period.
  • When I was a child I moved from one stage to the next, not knowing I could not stay at the last stage.


Growing up is sometimes difficult. The array of situations that can arise in life are vast, some great, some not so great. During these life events, I can run around screaming or I can relax and go through it in a different way.

  • GOD wants me to get rid of any pride I may have.
  • GOD wants my eyes to not desire the material things of this world.
  • GOD wants me not to worry about matters HE is taking care of.
  • GOD wants me to grow up.


Putting hope in GOD enables me to grow up. The harder the situation, the more I need GOD. I can no longer expect to drink from the bottle of life as a baby. GOD wants me to turn to HIM fully and place my hope in HIM always. GOD handles the matters that are greater than me.

  • Are you still a child?
  • Do you feel your life is out of control?
  • Do you not know where to turn next?
  • Can you place your hope in GOD?
  • Will you stop concerning yourself with tomorrow and let GOD handle the “things too wonderful” for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment