Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Looking in the Right Place

Psalm 123:I lift up my eyes to you,
    to you who sit enthroned in heaven.
As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master,
    as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
    till he shows us his mercy.
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy on us,
    for we have endured no end of contempt.
We have endured no end
    of ridicule from the arrogant,
    of contempt from the proud.

============

One request and one request alone is what I noticed in this passage, “Have mercy on us.” The writer of this Psalm describes the people who are in prayer as “slaves” which I find interesting as well. Here is what I pondered.

  • I should look at GOD from a different viewpoint of being elevated instead of being on the same plane.
  • I should look to heaven for my cure rather than those around me.
  • I should look at my approach to GOD subtracting demands and adding humility.


The request from the writer was not specific at all. It did not have a timeframe, a dollar amount nor a person to get rid of. It just says “Have mercy on us.” This takes all of the control out of the prayer and puts it in GOD’s mighty hand.

  • GOD do what YOU will, but show us YOUR mercy.
  • GOD flex YOUR might, but show us YOUR mercy.
  • GOD provide in YOUR way, but show us YOUR mercy.


Arrogance and pride are the contempt of the LORD. HE threw Satan out of heaven because of Satan’s pride. GOD sees the seed of HIS deliverance and it cannot contain my arrogance upon reception. I cannot boast or brag that I deserve GOD’s deliverance, I can only say “HE had mercy on me.”

I know I have heard the preachers say “GOD is your friend” and “JESUS is my brother” but I am careful to know I need to lift them up and treat the FATHER, SON and HOLY SPIRIT with respect rather than any old way. The right place to look at GOD is “up” for HE knows every situation and is in control.

  • Are you treating GOD as common?
  • Do you think HE is against you?
  • Will you elevate GOD to the right place and let HIM “show HIS mercy” on you?
  • Will you drop all arrogance and pride and flow with HIS plan?


No comments:

Post a Comment