Friday, November 20, 2015

Watch My Words!


Ecclesiastes 5:Do not be quick with your mouth,
    do not be hasty in your heart
    to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven
    and you are on earth,
    so let your words be few.
A dream comes when there are many cares,
    and many words mark the speech of a fool.
When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, “My vow was a mistake.” Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore fear God.

============

“I promise never to do that again” were the empty words I pledged to GOD to get me out of trouble this particular time. At the time I was scared and did not want any more consequences and I just wanted whatever to be through! I had no plan or thought behind the statement, I just blurted the words out, hoping HE would mop up the situation,.

  • There have been times where I promised things to GOD and did not fulfill them.
  • There have been times where I promised that I would behave a certain way to GOD and did not change.
  • There have been times where I promised something to GOD with good intentions but no plan.


“I’ll pray for you” are words that perk GOD’s ears. HE waits on the prayer I’m going to say for that person yet it never comes out. “I’ll server you more if…” are words that have crossed my mind, as if my service were a bargaining tool with GOD. Squirming is not a good time to make promises with GOD. In fact HE would rather that I wait.

  • GOD wants me to develop a plan before I make a vow.
  • GOD wants me to think about what I am saying before I invoke HIS name.
  • GOD wants me to treat HIS name as holy so making a promise is serious business to HIM.


Fearing GOD means fulfilling the promise I made to HIM. I should not stop until I finish whatever I promised. This could mean sacrificing my wants and replacing them with HIS plans.

  • Did you make an empty promise to GOD?
  • Is HE still waiting on you to do something you promised?
  • Will you go out and fulfill that promise and praise HIM for HIS grace?


No comments:

Post a Comment