Monday, April 11, 2016

I Don’t Mean to Brag But…


Jeremiah 9: 23 This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
    or the strong boast of their strength
    or the rich boast of their riches,
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
    that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.

============

After my meeting I asked “How do I get promoted.” “Manage upward” was the reply. “What does that mean?” I asked. “It’s a subtle way of telling your accomplishments without going overboard. Do this regularly and you will get ahead.” “Hmmm, I wonder if this would work everywhere.”

  • There were times that I would brag about “my” accomplishments.
  • There were times that I would speak about what “I” had done through “my” strength.
  • There were times that I would talk about “my” wisdom so I could get ahead.


Boasting about my accomplishments in a subtle way worked. I moved up the ladder only to find the top floor filled with people who did the same. Egos ran rampant and after a while we were all “managing upwards” to ourselves, never once acknowledging GOD’s hand.

  • GOD wants me to brag about the wonderful relationship I have with HIM.
  • GOD wants me to boast about the LORD’s kindness.
  • GOD wants me to show off HIS justice and righteousness everywhere I go.


Pointing my life towards me only yields temporary applause on earth. People will smile and give me accolades one day and move far away from me the next. GOD wants me to point my life towards HIS. HE delights when I bring more and more people to HIM and desires that I not be silent about my relationship with HIM. HE has shown me kindness beyond anything I could imagine. HE is a wonderful GOD!

  • Are you trying to be in the spotlight?
  • Do you feel it necessary to be recognized by everyone?
  • Can you point your life towards GOD by giving HIM the credit for “your” accomplishments?
  • Will you tell others about HIS kindness towards you?


No comments:

Post a Comment