Jeremiah 42: 2 Azariah son of Hoshaiah and Johanan son of Kareah and all the arrogant men said to Jeremiah, “You are lying! The Lord our God has not sent you to say, ‘You must not go to Egypt to settle there.’
4 So Johanan son of Kareah and all the army officers and all the people disobeyed the Lord’s command to stay in the land of Judah.
7 So they entered Egypt in disobedience to the Lord and went as far as Tahpanhes.
“Don’t go outside” was my punishment imposed on my infraction. I have no idea what I did, but staying inside the house on a summer day was too great of a sentence. My friend next door said, “Come over and play. Just climb out your window and play for a little while.” I thought, “What would the harm be?” I mean I would be “inside”, just inside my neighbor’s house.
The climb seemed treacherous. The window was a good six feet from the ground. I made it down, played and realized when I returned, I had no way back in. How was I going to explain this?
- There have been times when I have disobeyed.
- There have been times when I have looked at the sentence and said “I do not deserve that.”
- There have been times when I have gotten myself in even more trouble because of my disobedience.
Sin brings on more sin. I heard my mother calling for me and I snuck in the back door and hid. After a while the entire block was looking for me with the police. I emerged from behind the couch hours later to extremely worried parents. My disobedience had now affected over a hundred people.
- GOD wants me to be obedient as much as I can.
- GOD knows I have a sin nature and understands I have to actually decide to follow HIM each day.
- GOD provides me with grace and mercy though I do not deserve it.
My parents released me from my punishment and talked to me instead. I did not understand their words but I’m sure they meant well. I gave the automatic response of “I don’t know” so we could get this conversation over. Looking back I can see that disobedience of GOD is the same. It not only affects me, many others are brought down with me. GOD wants me to follow HIM because HIS path is so much better. I am free to do what I want and the more I choose GOD the better I am.
- Are you tired of following the rules?
- Do you think you deserve better from GOD?
- Can you stop thinking more highly of yourself and become obedient to GOD?
- Will you allow HIM to work in your life by obeying HIS word?