Ezekiel 3: 20 “Again, when a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before them, they will die. Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 21 But if you do warn the righteous person not to sin and they do not sin, they will surely live because they took warning, and you will have saved yourself.”
Snooping around my desk was the action I despised the most of this particular person. I was working on a project and refining my numbers. I left the wrong numbers on my desk and went home to correct the information. The next day this person tried to take credit for my work in a meeting but they were using the wrong numbers. “Serves him right” I thought to myself. I sat there without saying a word and watched him flounder.
- There have been times when it felt good to watch someone else’s demise.
- There have been times when it felt good to see someone “get their just rewards.”
- There have been times when it felt good to observe someone fall especially if they have been bugging me and others.
Watching someone else fail while I sit there with a hands off attitude feels good because it is not “my fault” if they fail. I mean they shouldn’t be doing what they are doing in the first place, right? Well, maybe not. What does GOD have to say about this?
- GOD says to me “Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin and I will hold you accountable for their blood.”
- GOD says to me “Have compassion on those who hold you in contempt and I will give you words of peace.”
- GOD says to me “Bless those who curse you and I will bring about salvation for those who heed your words.”
My desire was wanting this person to fail in the first place so taking a hands off approach not only enabled his failure, but it made me look better. GOD wants me to raise people up just as HE raises me up. HE wants me to enable success and let HIM worry about their actions and attitudes. My warnings need to point people to GOD and leave the rest to HIM. GOD wants me to open my mouth and say something that will grow HIS kingdom.
- Are you sitting back and watching “that” person fail?
- Do you feel satisfied when someone gets what is coming to them?
- Can you change your attitude and be part of their success?
- Will you tell the righteous person to turn from their ways and give them the compassion of GOD?