Jonah 1: The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.
“Hypocrites!” was my exclamation. This was my escape clause for not going to church anymore. I had seen one too many sins by so called “church people” that I decided not to go back. Everything seemed to go fine at first, then one wind came and another and yet another. Soon the winds of life were blowing so hard I actually had to cry out, “LORD please help me!”
- There have been times that I have run from GOD.
- There have been times that I have stopped worshipping HIM.
- There have been times that I have sought my own way only to find troubles that I could not get myself out of.
During my “running period” I noticed I was allowed to do anything I wanted. I chose things that were not pleasing to GOD and at first HE did nothing. I tried a little more and a little more and a little more. Soon I was headed down the path of questioning HIS existence. “If YOU do exist, then heal my eyes” was my childish rant.
- GOD allows me to sin, but prefers that I speak about HIS SON.
- GOD understands when I question HIM, but prefers I seek HIM with childlike faith.
- GOD knows the times when I run from HIM, but loves the times I chose HIS wonderful path.
In spite of my sprint away from HIM, GOD welcomed me back with open arms. HE restored me to a place where I could speak freely about JESUS and HE never looked back. I am glad GOD restores me!
- Are you running from GOD?
- Do you think you can get far away from HIM?
- Will you stop trying to do things on your own and allow HIM to transform you?
- Can you follow GOD’s plan for you today?