Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Why So Angry?


Jonah 4: But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”

But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

============

“Pray for your enemies?” I exclaimed! I had been wronged and I did not want these people to remain on the planet let alone have them prosper. GOD was firm with HIS message and I had to finally relent. “LORD, please protect those who set out to harm me. Enable them to know YOUR SON in a saving way. Bless their efforts that are pleasing to YOU.”

About a year later I received news that my adversaries were in fact doing quite well. “See! I knew you would be a gracious GOD!” I pouted.

  • Sometimes I want to pout about what GOD is doing in someone else’s life.
  • Sometimes I want to be the one on top and those who oppose me, on the bottom.
  • Sometimes I want to see the demise of people rather than an escalation.


“Serves them right” were the words I had in mind as I could just picture something bad happening to my foes. BUT GOD had something different in mind.

  • GOD says to me “Is it right for you to be angry when I am not?”
  • GOD says to me “Will you take MY yoke on you and learn from ME how to be slow to anger?”
  • GOD says to me “Can you see that I have held back calamity and MY love is abounding?”


Grace and compassion was the true lesson. I had to spit out my poison and release all the bitterness I had over “those” people in order to see just how blind I was. Over time I was able to truly ask GOD to work in their lives. GOD shows me extreme compassion and wants me to do the same.

  • Are you mad about something someone has done?
  • Are you busy spreading your bitterness?
  • Will you listen to GOD asking you to pay attention to HIS compassion?
  • Can you take GOD’s example and spread a healthy dose of compassion to someone today?


No comments:

Post a Comment