Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Fixing People

Matthew 7: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

============

New at teaching, I stammered through the lesson about sexual purity. At long last, this was now my Sunday school class and we had a great discussion. When class was over a guy shouted from across the room, “Hey we had a great time at the club last night!” This club was known for drunken single people to meet.

  • There were times when I used to point out other folk’s flaws.
  • There were times when I used to try “saving” people by telling them how wrong they were.
  • There were times when I used to say “Do as I say, not what I do.”


Hypocrisy is the main problem with people fixers and I was public enemy number one. “I” had cleaned myself up, why shouldn’t you? “GOD doesn’t like ‘insert sin’” was my hypocritical statement. While the words may have been true, they never included a confession that I too was committing the same sin.

  • GOD said to me “Do not judge, or you too will be judges.”
  • GOD said to me “For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
  • GOD said to me “You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”


When I started looking at my sins I realized a lot of work was needed in my own house. Before I could “fix” someone else, I needed to get help, but where? GOD sent HIS SON to die, raise and live again. HE did this to eradicate my sins and with that truth, I can help someone remove the spec in their eye. Many times I am asking them to remove the plank in my eye.

  • Are you complaining about someone?
  • Does “that” person or “those” people need to be fixed?
  • Why do you spend so much time talking about someone else when you have not admitted to your own sins?


No comments:

Post a Comment