Matthew 4: 18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
“Would you like to serve?” were the only words I heard. “No” was my immediate response. I mean I was busy and besides, GOD wouldn’t want a person like me serving.
- There have been many times I have been “called” and hung up the phone.
- There have been many times I have been “asked” but refused to give.
- There have been many times I have been “chosen” but chose to decline the choice.
GOD seems to call me at inconvenient times. I mean my first thought is “Doesn’t he see that I am working on something?” I will get to YOU later.
- GOD wants me to respond to HIM first.
- GOD desires that I seek HIS kingdom first.
- GOD longs for me to put HIM first in my life rather than fifteenth.
Peter and Andrew had the correct response. They may have been seeking GOD all their lives and when HE showed up, they were ready to go serve. They dropped everything and followed JESUS. Circumstances may be different today, but the more things change the more they stay the same.
GOD wants me to follow HIM on a daily basis. I don’t have to stop going to work rather I can carry the HOLY SPIRIT into my workplace or school or neighbor’s house. HE prompts me to pray for people and to speak about GOD at the right time, with the right words. It is up to me to have an “immediate reaction” to GOD’s calling.
- Are you being called and have refused to listen?
- Do you hear GOD on a daily basis?
- Are you making excuses like I am too busy or too poor or too old or too needy or too sinful right now?
- Can you drop the excuses and listen to the HOLY SPIRIT right now?