Matthew 5: 13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
After returning back to church from years of absence, I felt my life was going to get back on track. The next day some guys at work travelled out of town on a business trip and they asked me a question no one had asked me before. “Hey, do you want to come out with us to a strip club?” “Why yes of course I will go with you!” I replied. I didn’t want to look like a wimp even though I was scared!
- There have been times I went with the crowd when I shouldn’t have.
- There have been situations that I should have said “NO” to.
- There have been circumstances when I could have been a good example and decided not to.
Pleasing people sometimes means doing the wrong thing. I went with the crowd and did not find the “fun” the guys wanted me to experience. The next Sunday when I was back in church, I felt slimy and guilty, as if everyone in the congregation had watched me enter the dive.
- GOD says to me “You are the salt of the earth” and I am supposed to preserve life, add flavor and heal ailments like salt does.
- GOD says to me “You are the light of the world” and I am supposed to show everyone I meet that HE is first in my life.
- GOD says to me “ In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Whenever I lose my saltiness or hide my light, I never succeed with my plan. In fact, I find that my plans fall apart rapidly. The crowd that cheered me on to do the wild act disperses and I am left there having to account for my act, alone. GOD wants me to be truthful to HIM and HIM alone.
HE wants me to do HIS deeds on a daily basis so that people can be drawn back to HIM. HE made me so I am supposed to serve HIM all of my life.
- Are you hiding your GODLY relationship?
- Are you following the crowd?
- Can you stop trying to please humans and start trying to please GOD?