Matthew 9: Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”
3 At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”
4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 6 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” 7 Then the man got up and went home. 8 When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to man.
“This is my opportunity” I thought to myself as I jumped in the car and drove ninety miles in one hour. The VP was only going to be in town for moments and I needed to discuss joining his team. He saw my enthusiasm and promoted me.
- Many times I have seen opportunity and grabbed it.
- Many times I have gone for the gusto and seized it.
- Many times I have traveled out of my way to get something that seemed important to me.
“There HE is! This is our opportunity” comes to mind when I read this chunk of history. The unnamed men believed in JESUS so much that they carried a paralyzed friend to HIM. They did not know if HE would say yes or no but they went anyway. They had nothing to give JESUS but a sick friend and HE loved their faith!
- JESUS delights when I delight in HIM.
- JESUS loves when I love HIM.
- JESUS is excited when I show even the tiniest bit of faith.
Church leaders were upset at this entire situation. How dare this man claim to be GOD by forgiving sins, was the thought behind their words. JESUS saw through their love of status and hatred of GOD. HE healed this man because of faithful friends. I want to be like the mat bearers!
- What opportunity are you running towards?
- Do you see JESUS as an opportunity or a problem?
- Can you run towards HIM with childlike faith believing HE can heal even the most drastic situation?