Matthew 12: 33 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”
“I hate that person” blurted from my sophomoric mouth along with a few expletive words. Once said, I could never put them back in my mouth or erase them from someone’s ears.
- I have said some very harmful things.
- I have said some very slanderous things.
- I have said some very foul things.
In an effort to be funny or fit in, I have said words that needed a warning label, not once thinking of how harmful or destructive the words could be. How could I change my words?
- GOD wants my words to come from the heart.
- GOD wants my heart to come from HIM.
- GOD wants me to speak about HIS kingdom in a heartfelt way.
Instead of blurting out random thoughts, GOD wants me to be purposeful with my words. Since my heart is desperately wicked, I must take the lessons I have learned about GOD and apply them to the words that come from my heart. After a while, GOD starts rebuilding my heart to be HIS.
If my heart is full of garbage then garbage will flow from out of my mouth. Suddenly I will find myself without GOD’s fruit. BUT GOD is gracious enough to place HIS SPIRIT in me, enabling me to speak sincerely about HIM. I want GOD’s fruit, not mine.
- Are you seeking to be the center of attention?
- What foul words are proceeding from your mouth?
- Can you ask GOD to enter your heart so your words will change?