Matthew 15: 15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”
Thinking I had it all together I was proud to give advice. As I sat on high, people would come and ask what they should be doing to get ahead. I was moving up rapidly but hit a ceiling. This group of leaders loved strip clubs, prostitutes and lewd discussions. Hmm, but I want to get ahead. I wonder if I should join in.
- GOD said to me “Your heart is desperately wicked, who can know it.”
- GOD said to me “Do not trust your heart for it has all kinds of evil in it.”
- GOD said to me “Empty you heart of all unclean things.”
My problem was the willingness to fill my heart with “whatever it took” to become successful. I may not have committed the same offenses as the leaders, but why did “joining” them even cross my mind? GOD wanted me to stand firm.
- GOD wants me to empty my heart of all foul things.
- GOD wants me to meditate on HIM in order to fill my heart with the right things.
- GOD wants me to open my mouth about HIM and take the good things out of my heart.
A heart transplant was needed. GOD wanted me to fill my heart with HIM versus tradition. HE wanted me to not only “go to church” but hear what was said and put HIS words into action. HE wanted me to build enough character to do HIS will when no one is looking. GOD wanted my heart and I reluctantly gave it to HIM. It is the best thing that has happened to me!
- What is coming out of your mouth?
- Are you busy speaking lustfully or negatively about someone?
- Can you empty those evil ways from your heart and fill your heart with GOD?