Matthew 16: 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.
28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
“What will they think of me?” was my question when asked to go to church. I was the life of the party for a change. I had been “Goody-goody” for a long time. It seemed like I should be able to do some sinning for a while.
“What will they think of me?” was my question when asked to send a simple faith filled voicemail throughout the company. I mean I was the leader of a very large and influential portion of the company. I had to protect my perception right? Wrong!
- I have been embarrassed to speak about JESUS.
- I have been too filled with sin to speak about JESUS.
- I have been so proud of my accomplishments that I did not want to risk losing “my” position to speak about JESUS.
GOD says to me “If you are ashamed of ME then I will be ashamed of you” and I was truly ashamed of HIM. Human standards got in the way of my living for CHRIST. I bowed to the thought of “You can’t pray here” or “We don’t want you to even speak about JESUS here” even though no one said those words to me.
- JESUS wants me to shine my light before men on a daily basis.
- JESUS wants me to be salt in a world where salt is rejected.
- JESUS wants me to take up my cross by denying myself.
Losing my life means a lot. It means I can pray for all who pass me in the hallways. It means I do not have to be angry at “those” people, instead I can ask GOD for “our” forgiveness. It means I can open my home to my neighbors for JESUS’ purpose instead of hiding my affiliation with HIM.
GOD wants my family, my business, my job, my school, my house, my car, my clothes, my wealth, my desires and lastly my health. HE can do with them as HE pleases and I should learn to praise HIM when I try to hold onto any of them. HE can pry them from my hands in a hurtful way or I can freely give them to HIM, praising HIM along the way.
- What are you holding onto?
- Can you give GOD your home or your office or your school by inviting others into it to learn from HIM?
- Will you take GOD to work with you today and pray for all who pass you?