Matthew 19: 7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”
11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”
“Negotiate your exit” was the advice of the wealthy and powerful. They just knew their relationship would dissolve someday so they went in with an “exit strategy.”
- GOD says to me there is no “Exit Strategy” when it comes to marriage.
- GOD says to me “Throw away your ‘Out Clause’ thinking.”
- GOD says to me “Marriage is a calling, not a pleasure ride.”
Within a few short sentences JESUS speaks about sexual purity in marriage as part of this calling. HE calls the “Out Clause” thinking “Forced Adultery.” The disciples reaction was classic! They had been taught they could divorce and move on to the next so there was no need for reconciliation or control of lust. “Who can do this?” they cried out.
- JESUS explained a higher calling of sexual purity in not being married.
- JESUS explained the higher calling is for a chosen few who can accept it.
- JESUS explained that living married or unmarried is for the kingdom.
Anger, bitterness and rage can be controlled by those who are headed towards divorce or have already done it. GOD says “I forgive all who believe in ME” and HE means it. HE says to me “Love everyone as I have loved you.”
- Do you have an “Out Clause?”
- Are you bitter towards another person?
- Can you drop your bitterness and turn your rage into GOD’s love so you can be successful?