Monday, August 28, 2017

Performance Evaluation

Matthew 26:While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”

10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12 When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13 Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

============

Disturbed by the pressures of the week I sat on the couch drained. My prayer time led to a number of complaints of “what I did not have” and how “this” person or “that” person was mistreating me. With all these things spinning in my mind, I could not rest. GOD can you hear me!?

  • Sometimes I wonder where GOD is.
  • Sometimes I get upset that GOD may not be listening.
  • Sometimes I think GOD is not performing up to HIS potential.


When the woman poured expensive perfume on JESUS, the disciples immediately evaluated her performance as being wrong. They had no idea that she was being led by the SPIRIT to prepare our LORD for HIS death. They were busy looking at achievement. BUT GOD wants something different.

  • JESUS wants me to sometimes focus only on HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to bring HIM my concerns but sometimes focus only on HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to express my worries, doubts, fears and short comings, but sometimes focus only on HIM.


“She has done a beautiful thing to ME” JESUS said to the disciples. HE wasn’t saying they were wrong; it’s just sometimes you need to focus on GOD alone. HE wants my attention and praise just as much as my concerns, perhaps more. By anointing JESUS with my love, I raise HIM over my concerns.

  • Are you extremely worried?
  • Do you feel you need to work harder to please GOD?
  • Can you take some time to focus only on JESUS today?


No comments:

Post a Comment