Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Empty Belongings

Matthew 26: 31 Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:

“‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

32 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

33 Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”

34 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

35 But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

============

“You want to go bowling with us?” was the question posed to me. “Sure!” was my answer and it felt great to be asked. “You want to go drinking with us?” was the question. I had never drunk anything stronger than a cola before so I said “Sure!” I mean it was just to have a little fun. “You want to try this?” “This” being a drug… “No thanks, but maybe I’ll stay and have some sex later” was my thought.

  • There were times I wanted to just belong.
  • There were times I wanted to simply be with the crowd.
  • There were times when I was so lonely that I would hang out with the group I knew was wrong.


Denying my principles was pretty easy to do when I wanted to belong. No one had to know I was trying to follow GOD at that moment. Besides, we are all sinners anyway right? “I deserve to do a little sin right?” Wrong!

  • GOD knows I will sin but doesn’t want me to deny HIM in the process.
  • GOD knows I will stray but doesn’t want me to pretend I don’t belong to HIM.
  • GOD knows I will crave what the world has to offer but doesn’t want me to want the world so bad that I would leave HIM.


Peter was told he would deny JESUS. “What?” Peter exclaimed! No way! JESUS knew that Peter wanted to save himself more than follow HIM. HE knew Peter would follow the crowd at a crucial time versus following GOD. I have done the same. BUT GOD forgives me and I am grateful!

  • Are you lonely?
  • Do you have a strong desire to belong even to the point where you will deny your relationship with GOD?
  • Will you seek GOD today instead of hiding behind the crowd?


No comments:

Post a Comment