Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Fight Club

Matthew 26: 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”

55 In that hour Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. 56 But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

============

“Stand up to him” were the words shouted from the crowd at me. We circled each other and the crowd grew around us. I had not been in this position before, but had seen it many days and was not about to back down. Bored with our circling, someone pushed us towards one another. The fight began.

  • Some days I have had rage.
  • Some days I wanted to fight.
  • Some days I desired to be the one who won!


Being the scrawny underdog, many people cheered me on or at least I thought so. I can’t quite remember seeing how I was getting beat up. The teachers pulled us apart and the thug was taken to the principal. I never fought again but I lifted weights and grew large just in case.

  • GOD wants me to “Put my sword away” and find an alternative to fighting.
  • GOD wants me to “Call on my FATHER” when I am in danger.
  • GOD wants me to “Sit in the temple courts” instead of looking for fights.


Picking fights can spread to other areas of life. At work, at home or even at church I can look for a fight and most of the time I will find one. BUT GOD wants something different. GOD wants me to carry peace instead of a weapon, just as HE did. Though I may have strength, HE wants me to show weakness so HE can be made strong.

In these days of human strength and bullying in business or politics, showing weakness is unheard of and even viewed as pitiful. GOD wants me to be strong enough to bring peace instead of a fight. That is love!

  • Are you picking fights?
  • Do you look to have your way so you practice your words to win the argument?
  • Will you put down your “sword” and ask GOD for peace in your heart today?


No comments:

Post a Comment