Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Popularity Contest

Matthew 27: 15 Now it was the governor’s custom at the festival to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. 16 At that time they had a well-known prisoner whose name was Jesus Barabbas. 17 So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Jesus Barabbas, or Jesus who is called the Messiah?” 18 For he knew it was out of self-interest that they had handed Jesus over to him.

============

“Who should I pick for the team?” I asked. I had someone in mind, but figured I would ask the question anyway. A name was given to me that was different than I expected. “I wonder if everyone knows this person” I thought to myself.

  • There have been times I have made decisions based on popularity.
  • There have been times I have asked the crowd what I should do.
  • There have been times I have tried to absolve myself from the decision by asking the crowd.


Going with the crowd seems like a harmless solution sometimes. I mean this way I can have a lot of people vouching for me and I can remain “in favor.” BUT GOD says something different.

  • GOD wants me to make the right choice which is sometimes unpopular.
  • GOD wants me to stand for what is right not what is popular.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIS lead which can sometimes be the most unpopular direction.


Keeping people out of harm and guiding them to belief in CHRIST is very unpopular at times. Pilate had a choice to let JESUS go free and get rid of a well-known felon, but chose the popular route to his demise. GOD wants me to be brave enough to decide HIS way even when it is not popular.

  • Are you choosing based on popularity?
  • Do you follow the crowd a lot?
  • Can you choose this day who you will serve, yourself or JESUS?


No comments:

Post a Comment