Wednesday, October 25, 2017

This is How You Do It

Mark 2: 23 Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain. 24 And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”

25 But He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and hungry, he and those with him: 26 how he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the showbread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and also gave some to those who were with him?”

27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

============

Confusion finally led me to make a phone call to my uncle. He was a master carpenter and I had a project that required his expertise. He patiently told me what to do but his tips were counterintuitive. “Use sandpaper after staining the wood?” that sounds crazy!

  • Sometimes the rules seem strange.
  • Sometimes the steps don’t make sense.
  • Sometimes the instructions seem wrong.


GOD rested on the seventh day which is strange within itself. I mean GOD can’t get tired so why rest? HE wanted me to see HIS example of what should be done on a regular basis. HE created a Law for me to follow but HE did not create me to follow Laws.

  • GOD wants me to follow HIS ways because HE loves me.
  • GOD wants me to believe in HIS methods because HE knows they will lead to great things.
  • GOD wants me to understand HIS heart so I can apply the Law with the right motive.


Pharisees and legalists hold people to the letter of the Law without regards to how the HOLY SPIRIT should guide them to apply it. Instead of the Good News of “freedom” they spread the shackles of bondage to laws. GOD wants me to remove any fear that may cause me to control people with the Law.

GOD wants me to see that HIS love is freeing, whole and full of healing. HE made the Law for me, to guide me and protect me. I was not made for rules, they are made for me.

  • Are you trying hard to follow the rules?
  • Are you exhausted trying to follow what churchy people are telling you?
  • Will you ask GOD to show you how to follow HIM with the right heart today?


No comments:

Post a Comment