Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Acquired Skill


35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?”  41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”


============

“Impossible” I said. I mean this task placed in front of me was way too hard. The person tried explaining it to me and even showing me but I still could not see how to do this humungous feat. I acquiesced to try again. I got on the bike and rode past 4 maybe five houses this time! Maybe I can do this!

  • Sometimes life seems difficult.
  • Sometimes life seems hard to master.
  • Sometimes life can have tasks that seem impossible.


JESUS was and is the ultimate teacher. As the boat was tossed about, HE laid silently asleep on a pillow. These skilled fishermen had seen storms before and probably knew of people who had died in similar squalls. “Don’t you care?!” is a familiar exclamation I use to GOD when times get tough and it is the same question the disciples used.

  • JESUS says to me “I AM teaching you little by little to have faith in ME.”
  • JESUS says to me “Do not focus on the storm, focus on ME.”
  • JESUS says to me “I AM right here so do not worry.”


After reading this passage in the past, I thought JESUS was a little unreasonable. I mean this is a life threatening crisis, “Why aren’t YOU sending out legions of angels to save the people who follow you?” is my first thought. JESUS says “I AM not worried” IS your lesson.

JESUS knows more about the situation than I do. HE knew the storm would not harm the disciples and the storms of life cannot harm me. Somehow, through all the worry, fretting and doubting, JESUS has ALWAYS come through. HE wants me to grow up to accept HIS way of doing things and grow my faith as an acquired skill.

  • Are you worried, fearful and doubtful?
  • What has GOD brought you through in the past?
  • Is GOD trying to mature you by appearing to be asleep during your crisis?
  • Will you calm down for a moment to observe how HE can sleep even though HE is getting wet in the waves of life with you?


No comments:

Post a Comment