Thursday, November 16, 2017

Powerful Mercy

Mark 5: Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gadarenes. And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with chains, because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.

When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. And he cried out with a loud voice and said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”

For He said to him, “Come out of the man, unclean spirit!” Then He asked him, “What is your name?”

And he answered, saying, “My name is Legion; for we are many.” 10 Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.

============

Driving on a sunny day made me feel great. I was on my way to a friend’s house to enjoy some company. As I drove through the intersection near his house, a car ran a stop sign and hit my old junker. With little apology they threatened me instead of providing their insurance. I wanted them arrested for the rest of their lives!

  • Sometimes I want revenge!
  • Sometimes I want “justice!”
  • Sometimes I want “that” person to get what’s coming to them!


JESUS does something absolutely amazing in this slice of history. A legion of demons, whose job was to torment people, asked for mercy.  JESUS had the power to immediately speak them into being eternally tormented but restrained for it was not the right time.

  • JESUS says to me “Vengeance is MINE.”
  • JESUS says to me “I AM full of mercy and grace.”
  • JESUS says to me “Judge not lest you be judged.”


This conversation between the demons and JESUS shows me that HE can give mercy to anyone who asks. I need to follow HIS example of giving mercy to those who may be against me.

  • Did someone do something to you?
  • Did they deliberately hurt you?
  • Can you accept the power GOD is giving you by showing undeserved mercy on them?



No comments:

Post a Comment