Friday, March 9, 2018

Legacy Moment


Mark 14: And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head. But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.

But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial. Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”

============

Sitting in a sales pitch was my least favorite thing to do but I was there. As the sales person went on and on about how wonderful this this was, I yawned and glanced at my watch. He then said something memorable. “Don’t you want this as a legacy to your kids?”

  • There were times I wanted to leave a legacy.
  • There were times when I wanted people to remember “my” name.
  • There were times when the thought crossed my mind to be as famous as the latest famous people.


Like the woman who previously gave the equivalent of two pennies, this woman possibly gave all she had. She poured, what some would say, a month or even a year’s worth of income over JESUS’s head. Nothing was expected of her yet she did it.

  • GOD expects nothing of me but is delighted when I do even the tiniest thing for HIM.
  • GOD has no expectations of me but is filled with gratitude when I mention HIS SON.
  • GOD is not looking for gifts but loves when I give to HIM from my heart.


“She has done what she could” is what JESUS said about the woman. JESUS didn’t need any new clothes or a car or a house where HE was going. HE was headed to HIS destiny and she gave what she could. JESUS is returning and wants my all. HE wants my house, cars and clothes. The more I can give them to HIM the less I will stress over them. JESUS is my legacy I give to people.

  • What are you striving for?
  • Do you want to be known?
  • Can you stop trying to be in the spotlight and put JESUS in front always?


No comments:

Post a Comment