Monday, April 2, 2018

Crowd Pleasers



Mark 15:Now at the feast he was accustomed to releasing one prisoner to them, whomever they requested. And there was one named Barabbas, who was chained with his fellow rebels; they had committed murder in the rebellion. Then the multitude, crying aloud, began to ask him to do just as he had always done for them. But Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?” 10 For he knew that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy.

11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd, so that he should rather release Barabbas to them. 12 Pilate answered and said to them again, “What then do you want me to do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?”

13 So they cried out again, “Crucify Him!”

14 Then Pilate said to them, “Why, what evil has He done?”

But they cried out all the more, “Crucify Him!”

15 So Pilate, wanting to gratify the crowd, released Barabbas to them; and he delivered Jesus, after he had scourged Him, to be crucified.

============

Uncomfortably I sat at my desk. The shirt had too much starch from the cleaners and the stiff collar was cutting into my neck. When I got back from lunch I looked down and had something on my tie. “Oh no! How am I going to go to the next meeting like this?” I groused.

  • There have been times when I wanted to look good in front of people.
  • There have been times when I wanted to please the crowd no matter how I truly felt.
  • There have been times when I wanted to make a good appearance rather than do what I wanted to do.


The church leaders wanted their way so badly that they would do anything to get it. Pilate was a political puppet, used to officially do the dirty work that was in the church leader’s hearts. They saw their chance may be slipping away so they stirred up the crowd to release a known murderer. The crowd was led to a destructive decision, let Barabbas free.

  • GOD wants me to do what is compassionate from HIS perspective.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIM even if it is not a popular decision.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIS kingdom first which may mean being unpopular.


Seeking to fit in may sometimes be a dangerous road. When the crowd rejects GOD and blames those who follow HIM, I have a serious decision to make. “Do I reject GOD too and fit in or do I be a misfit and follow GOD?” I choose the latter of the two. Following GOD is not always popular, but it it truly worth it!

  • Are you trying to please the crowd?
  • Do you think it would be better if you fit in rather than following GOD?
  • Will you choose GOD over fitting in so HE can guide you to a better place?



No comments:

Post a Comment