Friday, June 15, 2018

Identity Meal


Luke 4:And the devil said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread.”

But Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’ 

============

“Aren’t you in charge?” questioned the salesperson trying to poke at my ego. The decision could cost the company millions so my answer had to be correct. “Being in charge is not what is in question right now” was my reply.

  • Some people have questioned “my” authority and it made me furious.
  • Some people have checked up on me even when I said who I was.
  • Some people have doubted “my” role even when they knew what my role was.


“If YOU are the SON of GOD” were the words the devil used to question JESUS’s validity of being the CHRIST. His next ploy was to tempt JESUS into doing parlor tricks with HIS infinite power.  JESUS showed me extreme constraint.

  • GOD wants me to grow in power to forgive those who are hard to forgive.
  • GOD wants me to grow in strength to have mercy on those who get on my last nerve.
  • GOD wants me to grow in courage to speak about HIM instead of easily conforming to what the world would say.


JESUS had the choice of eating a meal to prove HIS identity to the devil or possibly dying because HE had not eaten in forty days. JESUS chose to put HIS circumstance in the FATHER’s hands implying “I would rather die following what is right than to be comfortable for two seconds.”

GOD wants me to do the same. HE wants me to sometimes say “No” to the plot of the world. When the world says “Why don’t you work hard for moments of pleasure and stuff” GOD wants me to think about HIS kingdom and chose HIS way. 

Sometimes I choose pleasure, BUT GOD rewards me when I say “I will not live by bread alone, but by every word of GOD.”

  • Are you caught up in trying to prove who you are to people?
  • Do you think a title or a contract or a job will define you?
  • Can you stop thinking about “what” defines you rather than “WHO” defines you, namely GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment