Tuesday, June 5, 2018

People Checklist


Luke 3: Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

============

Looking at my calendar I realized I was triple booked with events. I made an appearance at each gathering spending only minutes with the host. I made sure they knew I was there and had the best intentions, but I was busy. In later years, I was triple booked again, only this time it was for funerals.

  • There were times when I went to a lot of events.
  • There were times when I spent more time going to the events than being at the event.
  • There were times when I wanted to be seen at the event than actually “being” at the event.


John was filled with the HOLY SPIRIT and discerned the hearts of those who came out to be baptized. Some people may have come there because everyone else was there or to be seen by the ”right” people. He tried to change their perspective because some of the crowd may have felt they deserved to be there because their families were long time church goers.

  • GOD wants me to serve others with my heart filled with HIS love.
  • GOD wants me to not to think more highly of myself because I attend church.
  • GOD wants me to bear fruit worthy of repentance rather than “looking good” on the outside and being rotten on the inside.


Having people on a checklist is not always the best. I do understand that I cannot save everyone and if I do not set boundaries, I could burn myself out. BUT GOD does want me to spend quality time with people so I can bear HIS fruit.

Only GOD’s fruit is good. HE looks at my heart and can tell when I am bearing fruit for myself rather than for HIM. HE wants me to point to HIM by sitting and crying and laughing and praying with people all while pointing to HIS amazing grace for me. HE want me to be there for people rather than check listing my appearance.

  • Are you treating GOD as a checklist item?
  • Do you sympathize with people?
  • Can you spend some quality time with those who need you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment