Monday, February 8, 2010

Are you willing to listen to GOD's answer?

Mark 1:40A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." 41Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" 42Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured.

=================================

I don't always treat GOD like HE is the supreme being. I sometimes treat HIM like a three year old treats his parents when he wants his way but can't have it. I throw my tantrum, roll around the floor and threaten to do things until HE gives me my way.

Ugly isn't it?

  • Many times I have set expectations of GOD that HE should do things exactly as I have them planned out.
  • Many times HE had something different in mind.
  • Many times I wasn't willing to accept HIS alternative because I thought I knew what was best for me.

In this passage of scripture I see a man with an issue. He is sick and is tired of being sick. I don't know how long he has been in this situation, but he wants comfort. He knew there was nothing inside of himself that could cure him.

He went after the only solution. He asked GOD to intervene in the situation by using a rather unique approach. Instead of throwing a tantrum and getting indignant, HE humbled himself and begged with a humble heart, knowing that the answer could be "No!"

Realize the thinking. The Pharisees were making money from telling people about GOD. They saved the best for themselves and turned away people who desperately needed help. This man had no idea who he was talking to. He just knew this guy healed people.

He humbled himself and was willing to hear "no" but he had to try anyway. His back was against the wall. He may have tried everything, but nothing worked. I can empathize with this man.

I know when I come to GOD the way I'm supposed to, HE takes compassion on me. When I am willing to ask HIM for the thing I want and desire and I am willing to let HIM steer the situation, I get what I want every time.

  • I may ask for one job and HE gives me another. I can praise HIM for giving.
  • I may ask for money and HE allows more to be taken away. I can praise HIM for making me an example.
  • I may ask out of my situation and HE leaves me in a little longer. I can praise HIM for sustaining me.

GOD is quite able to change anything HE wants to. HE can return today and could wipe out all humans, yet HE chooses not to. I believe HE is patiently waiting on the last person who will accept HIS SON. HE is patient with HIS humans and has compassion on those who seek HIM.

So I have tried to come to GOD the way HE wants me to come to HIM. I humbled myself and asked HIM, "LORD if you are willing..." With my statement I realize the answer could be "no", but I also realize that with HIS answer comes compassion.

HE has this overwhelming desire to do the best things for me here on earth and later in heaven. I personally have experienced HIS blessings many times when I am willing to listen.

  • How do you approach GOD?
  • Can HE say "no" to you without you throwing a tantrum?
  • Are you willing to come to HIM in a humble fashion?
  • Do you believe HE is the "only" one who can cure you or your situation?
  • Why hasn't HE done it?

No comments:

Post a Comment