Thursday, February 25, 2010

Do I really "hear" what HE is saying?

Luke 8:11"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.

14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

15But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

=================================

I had a great discussion with a dear friend this week. He asked, "How do you know when you hear GOD versus hearing your own voice?" This is a very wise and deep question and I can't fully explain the answer, but I will take a stab at it from my life experiences.

We have a very short time on this planet. I do not believe life is an entrance exam for heaven like some believe. I believe GOD created humans to exist forever. I also believe HE created earth to exist forever. So why does Hell exist and why will GOD destroy earth?

I do not understand how or why GOD created "free will" but HE did. When HE did this, HE created scenarios that even Satan could choose right from wrong. GOD did not want robots who are forced to serve HIM. That's not love.

In this "free will" state, GOD allowed Satan to tempt HIS humans causing them to fall. Now humans question GOD's position. They go on quests to disprove HIS very existence. The longer humans exist, the further they move away from believing in what GOD stands for.

Then GOD came to earth as a human, lived a sinless life and died for all of HIS humans so they will not have to be eternally separated from HIM. HE knew earth and humans were cursed and our choice would not include HIM.

Now humans struggle to hear GOD. We constantly focus on the cursed earth thinking we can make a heavenly existence in a place that will be thrown away.

  • I can't hear GOD when I don't listen to HIS HOLY SPIRIT inside of me.
  • I can't hear GOD when I worry.I can't hear GOD when I think HE doesn't love me.
  • I can't hear GOD when I am depressed.
  • I can't hear GOD when I compare myself to others.
  • I can't hear GOD when I sin.

BUT GOD says if you "do hear ME", then you will persevere while I correct things. HE has to clean up a huge mess Satan created with his selfish choice to try to be GOD.

It's almost like Satan slashed the tires on the bus and everyone had to get off the bus while the tires are being repaired. Then he pulled up his bus to go on another direction. He promises wealth and freedom and endless pleasure as his destination but lacks the power to "create those things". He can only use the things GOD already created.

Meanwhile GOD decides instead of a bus HE will get a limousine for each person. GOD's destination is far greater than mere wealth and freedom from HIS rules. HE promises that by listening to HIM and remaining in HIM eternity will be a place of endless excitement and love.

  • Hearing GOD means I can persevere through tough times.
  • Hearing GOD means showing love instead of getting my way.
  • Hearing GOD means doing any and everything to get the great news about HIS SON to everyone.
  • Hearing GOD means not being fooled into thinking earthly wealth is something to be obtained.

I truly hope GOD has changed my heart enough to make it open to HIS messages. My desire is to produce the maximum amount of "fruit" while waiting on HIS return from building a new eternity.

  • Are you too concerned with the things of this world to hear what HE is saying to you?
  • Can you change the way you view GOD?
  • Can you focus on more than bills and riches?
  • Are you concerned with bearing fruit today?

No comments:

Post a Comment