Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What are "you" saying?

Luke 6: 43"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers.

45The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

===================================

What is "fruit?" I think fruit is a result. You know... the "fruits" of your labor. Well, over the years I have had some good fruit and some bad fruit. I can remember the times I served people and watched them go straight to GOD for thanks. It felt good.

Then there were times I had a lot of "bad" fruit. "When was that you ask?" Probably yesterday I would say. I remember laughing at the person who was smelly or big or goofy. I talked bad about people who were different than me.

I was skinny so I never talked about skinny people. Instead I poked fun at larger people. They were easy targets. I became good at joking about people. I could tear down the best of them. I made people laugh and I enjoyed the spotlight.

I took this attitude to work only this time it was more serious. I would call my bosses stupid and question their leadership. My peers and co-workers were no match for my work. I hoped "that guy" or "that lady" would get fired. "What a bone head!", I would say.

Now after saying these things, when it comes to telling those people about CHRIST, I'm ineffective. Imagine every person hearing every word you say "to" them and "about" them.

I have said some terrible things about people I didn't like. Other people heard my poison and felt the same way about the person. I felt great having support for my feelings. Now the damage was done. The person had been successfully torn down. Now what? Can I tell them about CHRIST? NO!

I complain so easily. I have been trained to have a critical eye and it's easy to find mistakes others have made. In efforts to be efficient and "better" I find ways to improve. Sounds like a great worker. Well, almost. If I only speak in a critical nature and never say what is "right" about the person then I am bearing bad fruit.

  • When I have envy in my heart, I tear people down.
  • When I have disappointment in my heart, I complain.
  • When I have lust in my heart, I objectify the opposite sex.
  • When I have fear in my heart, I control and think small.

GOD sees sinners different that you and I. HE saved us from eternal death by raising HIS SON to life. HE expects us to be grateful for this great act of kindness. Our love for other humans tells GOD we truly appreciate what HE has done for us.

  • When I have love in my heart, I build people up.
  • When I have grace in my heart, I look for reasons to serve people.
  • When I have mercy in my heart, I forget what people have done to me.
  • When I have joy in my heart, I go through circumstances without complaints.

I noticed that GOD says our heart would overflow whatever is inside of it. I had to only listen to myself for one day and I realized that GOD was not overflowing from my heart. From complaint to insult to fear, my heart gushed out insecurity which turned into poisonous words. GOD forgave me and changed my words to seeds. Now I try to speak about GREAT NEWS!

  • If someone recorded what you said could you play it to the person you are talking about?
  • Would you like other people to talk about you the way you talk about them?
  • Can you tell the person about CHRIST after what you just said?
  • What do you think is in your heart?
  • Have you checked what kind of fruit you are bearing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment