Thursday, March 4, 2010

Again HE says "Do not worry, Do not be afraid."

Luke 12:22Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

=========================================

I don't know about you but my excitement for GOD is temporary. I can be excited about what I hear about GOD for a day or two but it quickly fades when I get a bill, bad news or "no news." I actually think "no news" is worse when I am waiting on something.

I worry so easily. I have heard some misguided preachers tell people their worry is a sin so pick yourself up and stop doing it. Well good for them. But what about the rest of us who worry and like to wallow in our pity? HE has an answer for that.

GOD constantly tries to let me know HE is not a villain and HE loves HIS humans. HE tries to say how much HE loves me but my sin nature gets in the way of seeing HIS pursuit of me.

HE gives an example of animals HE provides for. HE provides food, life and habitat for them. It's quite amazing that GOD cares about the amount of fur a specific deer has. HE provides grass for the cows and grain for birds.

HE cares about how the sun will affect the flowers. HE makes nature more beautiful and breath taking than anything humans could ever build. Now HE turns HIS attention to me. HE says there is NOTHING in nature more important than me.

HE built this entire world for you and I. Unfortunately, the world is under a curse and the once perfect place is no longer paradise. HE says, "Don't focus on the food, clothes or needs while you are on this earth." HE says HE fully understands my needs.

So how do I stop worrying? HE isn't trying to persecute me in this passage rather HE is trying to provide comfort.

  • When I worry, think of how GOD provides for the plants and animals.
  • When I worry, think of how much more GOD loves me than them.
  • When I worry, remember the times HE brought me through troubles.
  • When I worry, focus on the things HE has given me and not on things that are gone.
  • When I worry, tell someone about the greatness of CHRIST.

It's amazing how confused Christians can be when it comes to GOD. HE gives us answers as plain as day right in HIS Bible. Do not worry means stop focusing on the problem and focus on the solution, or should I say "soul-ution." Do not be afraid means focus on GOD's SON as the ultimate gift and the ultimate fighter.

Imagine GOD fighting your battle for you. HE laughs at the person or thing that is opposing you. HE laughs at the thing tempting you. HE laughs at the thing that causes you worry and doubt. HE says to you and I, "be still and watch my power and glory."

Once I realize GOD is far more excited about me than I am of HIM, I can do what HE says namely help others. Once I stop pitying myself and my situation then I can sell something I own and give the money to someone in need. HE never says give it all up, just some of it.

Focus on helping others and the hole in your heart gets filled and you store up treasures in heaven.

  • Are you worried about life again?
  • Can you focus on GOD's power?
  • Do you believe HE cares about little things too?
  • Do you believe HE cares what happens on earth as well as eternity?
  • Do you actually believe HE cares about you and your decisions today?

No comments:

Post a Comment